The Importance of Sleep
As women we know that a lack of sleep leaves us irritable; however most of us are unaware of the damage it may be doing to our skin! Besides being an essential component of a healthy lifestyle, getting 8 hours of sleep per night helps improve the texture and the luminosity of our skin. During the night the skin is restored from the harmful effects of daily stress. When we do not get the required sleep our skin suffers. This is especially noticeable in the fragile skin under the eyes. The under eye area is almost fifty percent thinner than the skin on the face. Sleepless nights leave behind fine lines, dark circles, or puffy bags. Cosmetic treatments can soften the effects of sleep deprivation but preventive medicine is the best cure. Eye treatments are limited in their ability and cannot reverse the stress that a lack of sleep will do to the skin.
Sleep experts say that we need 8 hours of sleep per night. However, the latest research shows that women average 6 hours and forty minutes of sleep during the week and 7 hours on the weekend. What can we do to sleep more peacefully and longer? Below are 14 tips to get you rested in no time! Happy Sleeping!
Top 14 Ways to Have a Peaceful Night's Sleep
1. Eliminate noise from your bedroom. Bedroom sounds should be low and consistent. Try earplugs.
2. Keep your room dark by using dark fabric on your windows. If that is not possible, try eyeshades.
3. The temperature of the room should be cool.
4. A relaxing bath before you go to bed will induce sleep.
5. Set a schedule to arise, no matter what time you went to bed the night before.
6. Turn your clock so you can't see the time if you wake up in the middle of the night.
7. Keep TV's and computers out of the bedroom, make it a place just for sleep and relaxation.
8. Get a queen-size mattress if you don't sleep alone. We need room to move.
9. Avoid alcohol before sleeping. While alcohol may help us fall asleep, it will also wake us in the middle of the night.
10. Avoid nicotine before going to bed because it is a stimulant.
11. Don't go to bed hungry or overly full. Have a snack early in the night.
12. Watch your coffee intake. Caffeine from coffee, tea, cola and chocolate can affect you for up to twelve hours.
13. If you worry during the night or if you think of something that you must do the next day, write it down so you can deal with it in the morning.
14. Try natural-fill pillows such as down or feather because they have the most adjustability. If you suffer from back pain put a pillow between your knees for a more comfortable sleep.